Final Fantasy IV hardCORE
05-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Final Fantasy IV hardCORE
"Final Fantasy IV hardCORE" (actual in-game title screens)
[Image: ff4hc_title.png] [Image: ff4hc_title-lite.png]

Description:
This is a mod that's sole purpose is to take the basic game and make it a bit of a difficult challenge, add some new content, and generally overhaul how the game's statistical engine affects the gameplay. This isn't another "HardType" of mine where a bunch of random shit was replaced just for the sake of replacing it. I will be making two versions, a "Final Fantasy IV hardCORE [Lite]" version which keeps the original game intact and just changes the various statistical data, items, magic, characters, monsters as well as some other stuff. The regular version "Final Fantasy IV hardCORE" will include the aforementioned data and also include some musical changes, graphical changes, map changes, naming changes, and hopefully a reworked script. The goal is for this to become a fully reworked or "remixed" game versus the original that keeps the nostalgic feel of the original game but adds some additional challenge. Oh, and no more holding down "A" to win every fight... :)

The highlights:
-Custom title screen and some font tweaks
-Maximum damage allowed is 5,000 by anyone
-Maximum HP each character can get is ~5,000 <-- Thinking about changing to ~3200 max HP
-Maximum MP each character can get is ~500 <-- Thinking about changing to ~320 max MP
-Maximum Stat (STR/AGI/VIT/WIS/WILL) each character can get is 50 (before item stat bonuses)
-Items have had their GP prices increased considerably, especially equipment
-Curative items like Tonic/Potion/X-Potion and Tincture/Ether will generally heal less than the original amounts
-Tweaked learned magic at level ups to generally be higher
-Gave a couple of magic users a few more spells designed to add more strategy
-Magic spells are now less powerful but cost much more MP and in some cases take longer to cast
-Magic casting characters that normally get access to every spell will not any longer. Spells will be more spread out. <-- Still deciding yes or no on this
-Weapons have been tweaked to do less damage, no more back-row Blood sword killing everything
-Armor has been tweaked to provide less overall defense
-Equipment "who can equip" data has been tweaked
-Equipment has all but been removed of stat bonuses
-Only 1 super weapon and you'll need to find it (without cheating), high attack with a price--that being not being able to equip a shield (Paladin/Dragoon) <-- Removed
-Only 1 super armor and you'll need to find it (without cheating), high defense & high magic defense with a price (think Cursed Ring) <-- Removed
-Some weapons have additional magic casting capability
-Shops have been overhauled for added balance and difficulty
-Treasure chests have been completely overhauled and some relocated to balance the money earning rate with items that you will need at "just the right time"
-Double to Quadrupled (2x to 4x) the monster encounter rates
-Monsters HP, attack, physical defense, magical defense, speed and magic power have been increased
-Monsters winnable items have been completely rewritten. As in 99% rewritten (Tower key didn't change)
-Some maps will be changed to give a little refresh and to add a little additional walking time. :)
-There will be a new town and a new small dungeon created as well.
-Some monster graphical or palette changes are planned
-Possibly spruce up some palettes and graphics in various other places in the game
-More to come...

-------------------------------

Completion log:
Title screen: 100%
Splash Screen Intro: 50%
Font: 99%
Characters: 90%
Magic: 90%
Items/Equipment: 95%
Shops: 90%
Planned Map Changes: 50% <-- Currently being finalized
Treasure 90%
Planned Event Changes: 10%
Battle Strategy Changes: 25%
Monster stats: 33%
Monster AI: 0%
Battle Formations: 5%
Dialogue: 0%
Battle Dialogue: 0%

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: card.png]

Total games not including duplicates as of February 28th 2017: 1,276 (link to list)
Total guides not including duplicates as of February 28th 2017: 61
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2012, 07:08 PM
RE: Beta test a new Final Fantasy II US mod
I didn't know you had your own forums. This hardtype sounds quite interesting, I wouldn't mind giving it a swing.

You can see from my beta reports on Deathlike's FFII Hardtype that I take pretty considerable notes and attention to a fair amount of detail.
Find all posts by this user
05-28-2012, 10:19 PM
(05-28-2012 07:08 PM)Grimoire LD Wrote:  I didn't know you had your own forums. This hardtype sounds quite interesting, I wouldn't mind giving it a swing.

You can see from my beta reports on Deathlike's FFII Hardtype that I take pretty considerable notes and attention to a fair amount of detail.

You could test my alpha version if you like? None of the maps are done yet, none of the monster AI, no events, and no text other than names were touched. But the statistical portion of it is pretty much done.

What's your email and I'll send it over your way for testing. I got as far as Mysidia and stopped.

Total games not including duplicates as of February 28th 2017: 1,276 (link to list)
07-04-2012, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 12:29 AM by JCE3000GT.)
(05-28-2012 10:19 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  
(05-28-2012 07:08 PM)Grimoire LD Wrote:  I didn't know you had your own forums. This hardtype sounds quite interesting, I wouldn't mind giving it a swing.

You could test my alpha version if you like? None of the maps are done yet, none of the monster AI, no events, and no text other than names were touched. But the statistical portion of it is pretty much done.

What's your email and I'll send it over your way for testing. I got as far as Mysidia and stopped.

Bah, lost the link to the forums a while due to a new browser and only recently came across it again. Sorry about that. Email is lasting_dawn@*******.com
07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Cool, I will send it on by before the weekend. Grin

07-08-2012, 12:29 AM
(07-04-2012 01:38 AM)Grimoire LD Wrote:  
(05-28-2012 10:19 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  

Bah, lost the link to the forums a while due to a new browser and only recently came across it again. Sorry about that. Email is lasting_dawn@*******.com

Sorry it's a bit late but email sent. Grin

12-15-2012, 07:58 PM
RE: Final Fantasy IV hardCORE
Updated the first post to reflect some new changes and goals.

12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I will need a second beta tester that is as good and thorough as Grimoire LD. Right now the main focus is on how the monsters and difficulty work with the new items, shops, treasure contents, and character stats. I hope to have at least 3-4 full tests in waves. This next wave is wave two. Wave three would be when I start adjusting the monster's battle AI and finalizing the item/magic/monster/character statistics. Wave four will be primarily testing any changes in dialogue, music, and game events (new town & dungeon, etc) along with any final revisions, bugfixes, or tweaks.

03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Cannot believe that it has been 3 months since I posted in here! I've got some ideas on some things so when I get back to working on this I will post more. My first priority is to get a good beta copy ready for preliminary beta testing. :)

05-15-2013, 11:15 PM
can't wait. looking forward to more mods from this game
01-16-2014, 09:58 PM
I haven't forgot about this project. I'm slowly making progress on this while simultaneously working on the NBA Jam TE mod and about three other projects. :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Final Fantasy VI (secret) project JCE3000GT 22 5,560 06-07-2017 08:42 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  final fantasy mystic quest save editor problem Clouds67 1 1,107 10-16-2015 12:44 PM
Wink Final Fantasy V Xpert (Difficulty Installing) drag0nwind 4 2,072 06-25-2015 09:34 PM
  QUERY: Final Fantasy V EasyType andwan00 1 1,205 06-24-2015 02:39 PM
  [REQ] Final Fantasy III US EasyType andwan00 3 1,855 06-19-2015 10:37 AM
  Mystic Quest HardType -- the final beta test update JCE3000GT 13 10,391 05-10-2013 02:24 PM
  Final Fantasy II US Data Manipulator JCE3000GT 5 2,259 02-09-2013 12:19 PM
Last Post: PJM82
  Final Fantasy IIIj EasyType C_CliFF 1 2,404 07-29-2012 10:25 AM
  Final Fantasy I Advance Easy Type Problem. CCCFinalFantasy 1 2,969 06-13-2012 02:36 PM