The Saga Series
12-15-2014, 03:25 PM
The Saga Series
In my quest for finding excellent RPG series, this thread is dedicated to the Saga Series.

To celebrate this dedication, a brand new entry to the series is currently being developed for the Playstation Vita and just got announced today. It is scheduled to be released next year in 2015. This title doesn't have a name yet but is to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Saga Series. I will update this thread as I hear more about the upcoming game.

Check out the news story here with some artwork: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...-2015.aspx
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2014, 05:06 PM
RE: The Saga Series
Holy shit that's great news! I'm SO getting a Vita now just for that game unless it will run on a PS3/PS4.

The thing that makes the SaGa series at least for the SFC/SNES platform is the open world non-linear gameplay. The GameBoy games were, at least for the first two, not quite as non-linear but the third one (Final Fantasy Legend III) was. For my post here I'll focus on the SFC/SNES versions.

Romancing SaGa 1
[Image: RomancingSaGa-7.png] [Image: RomancingSaGa-15.png]

Great graphics for 1992 and even better music. There isn't an English release of the original but there was a remake for the PlayStation 2 and it is fantastic. There is a group working on an English translation for the original version so we need to keep an eye on that. It is worth a quick look even if you don't read Japanese.

Romancing SaGa 2
[Image: RomancingSaGa2-11.png] [Image: RomancingSaGa2-8.png]

Now we are starting to get to the good stuff. The graphics, game engine, and the music got a major upgrade in only ~1 year. I cannot tell you how much the music absolutely rocks in this game, and as always the different battle music selections is top notch as all SaGa games are. The downside is there are no complete English translations of this and no remakes. Such a shame because reading what this game is about really gets you wanting to play it.

Romancing SaGa 3
[Image: RomancingSaGa3-11.png] [Image: RomancingSaGa3-10.png]

Move over Chrono Trigger because this game is so much more fun to play and has infinitely better graphics and artwork. The music is also the best of the series, in particular the battle music. The story is great and unlike the other two this one has 2 full English translations for you to play. And it is quite enjoyable and quite addicting. The way you can develop your characters with specific skills and magic is also quite good. This of all the Romancing SaGa games really needed to be brought over to North America. It is 100% worth your time to play so what are you waiting for? Grin

-----------------------

Here is a good Youtube video of all of the Romancing SaGa battle music. Enjoy!

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2014, 07:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2014 07:42 PM by ctophil.)
Sweet goodness! Those graphics make me want to play it right now. lol. Do the stories intertwine with each other? Do you recommend that I start with the first Romancing Saga or could I jump around? The reason why I ask is because I'm planning on playing Romancing Saga 3 first, since there is a reproduction cart.

The PS2 remake of Romancing Saga uses 3D graphics. So I am hesitant of playing that version unless you say otherwise. I could just wait until the Super Famicom version is fully translated. I prefer sprite-based graphics.
12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm not entirely sure the stories connect, maybe I/we need to visit a SaGa based forum and ask? LOL I will say since I own and have played the Romancing SaGa remake for the PS2 don't let the 3D graphics steer you away. It is WELL worth the time. I've only gone through the Hawke quest but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I really, REALLY want a CIB of Romancing SaGa 3. The artwork and music are just so brilliant. I have to say it is one of my favorite jRPGs easily.

12-16-2014, 12:39 PM
FYI, the RS1 English patch should be playable without "show stopping" bugs as the translator wrote. After I beat RS3 I am moving on to RS1. :)

12-16-2014, 03:27 PM
From various Romancing Saga wikis, they all say there are no connections among the Romancing Saga games, except for "The Bard" character. The characters' storylines may intertwine within the same game but not anywhere else in the rest of the series. Therefore, I assume it is safe to play the games in any order desired.

http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Romancing_SaGa_3

Do you know if there is an English translated Romancing Saga 3 instruction manual? I've found a repro cart with box but no manual.
12-16-2014, 05:14 PM
There are translated manuals but other than TimeWalk I do not remember who had them. I can look to see if I grabbed the TimeWalk manual source.

*edit*
Oh and that's great to know about them not being connected. The "Bard" wouldn't be referring to the "poet"?

12-16-2014, 05:40 PM
I didn't grab the manual, only the 3 label variants. I'll check with a few of the old TW members to see if anyone has that file. I don't have the FTP login information anymore though I think they shut that down too.

12-16-2014, 09:25 PM
That's cool, JC. If you could find out someone who can put together a manual for us perhaps with the TimeWalk archives, that would be awesome. I'm sure you want it as well.

I think "The Bard" character is the mysterious wandering minstrel singing songs in the intro to Romancing Saga. I'm not sure if the Super Famicom version has that intro, but the PS2 remake has that.
12-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes, I remember the PS2 character and intro. That game had him in every pub if memory serves. RS3 I believe he is called the poet but I could be wrong. I've got him in my party right now and he's a beast with magic. :)

12-16-2014, 10:05 PM
That guy's just called "The Bard"? Sounds a little boring, is he at least spoony? Grin
12-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Haha, that's great. Second most used video game line ever behind "All bases are belong to us". Grin

12-17-2014, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 01:11 AM by Lotex.)
Well at least with people who love Final Fantasy/RPGs in general.
Although I'd say the "... but our princess is in another castle" is more frequent Grin
Or maybe something like "Hey listen" from Ocarina of Time, "Stay awhile and listen" from Diablo or "Do a barrel roll" from Star Fox.

There are so many other lines that I have to read to remember (although some are kind of famous) like "The cake is a lie" or "FINISH HIM!"
12-17-2014, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 02:13 AM by xcmn.)
"Join the Nintendo Fun Club Today!" :sleepy:

Saga Frontier is my primary experience with the series. I enjoyed it immensely. The spark system of learning moves was unique and engaging. I loved how the higher end abilities would manifest during tough fights, often at a critical moment. I did not use the Dream Super Combo or know how to consistently pull off high level combinations with my characters so the level of difficulty in this game was nice and tough. Battles could be dramatic and frenzied at times. Nothing cooler than a party member about to be creamed and suddenly your sword user is there Deflecting the attack or when attacked himself would spin away and counter with Kasumi. Especially when equipped with the blood red Asura sword you literally purchased with your life.

The ability to (more or less) pick your own party from the whole cast of characters is a nice feature, though humans seemed superior to the other races. The downside to Saga Frontier is the shallow, short story lines and the general lack of new areas to explore. Once you've played through one character's quest you've found most of the dungeons and treasure available in the game.

I have also played a little of the PS2 remake of Romancing 3 and agree that it is a fun game.
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM
SaGa Frontier is a great game to play but the story isn't as strong as the older SaGas. Romancing SaGa 3 is very similar as SaGa Frontier with how you learn abilities, well the other way around.

The PS2 remake was on the first Romancing SaGa. I only wish RS3 would get remade.

12-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Playing Romancing SaGa 3? Here is a top tip, learn Hand-to-Hand and you'll at some point get Focus and Counter. These are ESSENTIAL once you start getting about half way or if you characters average 500+ HP. Counter is awesome on non-magical monsters. As a bonus Counter works great in the tournament too.

Another couple of weapons to learn quickly are lances and bows. Lances are really powerful and bows have good multi-target damage techs.

Lastly, force yourself to cast magic to boost your JP because later in the game you'll want some JP to cast some of the awesome spells like Tornado or the multi-target Moon spell.

01-06-2015, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 04:18 PM by ctophil.)
More information regarding the new Saga sequel for PS Vita: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/05/sag...aga-games/

Also note that there is a "spiritual successor" being worked on called The Legend of Legacy for Nintendo 3DS. It is being developed by former Saga, Final Fantasy VII & VIII, and Chrono Trigger developers. I hear the battle system is similar to the Saga series. Check out the links below.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/23/for...3ds-title/

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/19/leg...le-system/

http://www.siliconera.com/tag/the-legend-of-legacy/
01-29-2015, 06:47 PM
FYI, the Romancing SaGa 1 english translation patch has been update a few times since my original post on it. I'd recommend getting it. It shouldn't affect any saved games.

07-02-2015, 07:30 PM
I just got news that the first Romancing Saga for the Super Famicom has been fully translated (text and menus) and can be played via emulator or flash cart. They just released it on June 30th. Therefore, I'm sure you can play it on Retron 5 as well! Check it out here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2377/
07-02-2015, 08:54 PM
I've played the beta of this for months so I'm glad it's finally out!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Final Fantasy Series ctophil 49 10,417 08-15-2017 05:00 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  The Seiken Densetsu / Mana series JCE3000GT 2 309 06-07-2017 08:44 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Borderlands series thread JCE3000GT 15 3,915 03-03-2017 06:36 PM