Nintendo Switch
10-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Nintendo Switch
It looks... glorious!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2016, 04:13 PM
RE: Nintendo Switch
You know I watched it and I was like "yawn" until I saw what is basically an XBOX controller (WIN!) and Skyrim remastered (WIN!). I also thought I saw a couple of adult games. So I was left with these few thoughts.

What I liked...
1. Love the controller
2. Love the 3rd party line up so far
3. Love using flash memory for games
4. Nintendo wants to compete

What I didn't like...
1. It's a handheld and console in one
2. The constant connecting and removing those components will likely wear out
3. The console still feels gimmicky
4. The Zelda shown in the preview trailer
5. The name of it

With my major games I want coming out on the XBOX One I actually have moved this ahead of the PS4 and would be interested in getting it. I just hope Nintendo doesn't pull a Sony and start nickle and diming you on prices. The good news is with that glorious XBOX style controller I can enjoy jRPGs again since we KNOW a Nintendo console will get them. Sony you are dead to me.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2016 04:28 PM by ctophil.)
(10-20-2016 04:13 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  You know I watched it and I was like "yawn" until I saw what is basically an XBOX controller (WIN!) and Skyrim remastered (WIN!). I also thought I saw a couple of adult games. So I was left with these few thoughts.

What I liked...
1. Love the controller
2. Love the 3rd party line up so far
3. Love using flash memory for games
4. Nintendo wants to compete

What I didn't like...
1. It's a handheld and console in one
2. The constant connecting and removing those components will likely wear out
3. The console still feels gimmicky
4. The Zelda shown in the preview trailer
5. The name of it

With my major games I want coming out on the XBOX One I actually have moved this ahead of the PS4 and would be interested in getting it. I just hope Nintendo doesn't pull a Sony and start nickle and diming you on prices. The good news is with that glorious XBOX style controller I can enjoy jRPGs again since we KNOW a Nintendo console will get them. Sony you are dead to me.

I agree, JC, with a few points there. I don't like the connecting and disconnecting portions, since I dispise things wearing out quickly. But with that viewpoint, Nintendo is trying to make it more portable due to the incredible popularity and combining of mobile devices and gaming. They are catering to the majority. As for me, I don't even take my portable game consoles with me during travels anyway. So, with the Switch, I'll leave it at home 100% of the time, no wear and tear there. :cool:

I am quite interested in the Switch, although the name can use another brainstorming session. :P With the huge 3rd party support, I believe Nintendo is going places with this console. Ubisoft, EA, and number of large publishers are very excited and believe Nintendo has done a good job this time.

As I always say, yes, the Switch is a pretty "gimmicky" console. But let's face it, Nintendo likes to try new things. All I want to see are really cool games on this console, especially JRPGs.

I'm re-posting my message from the mother thread in case folks want to check out the publishers/developers list:

Quote:Nintendo has finally unveiled their new console. It is called the Nintendo Switch. Apparently, it's an extremely portable unit. You plug it up to the TV at home, bring it with you, and the console even has its own screen that can stand on a table. The controllers are actually plugged onto a separate platform and can be unplugged to plug back onto the portable screen. The best part is you can plug in a normal controller (Switch Controller Pro) if you so desire.

Here is the list of developers and publishers currently signed up to support the Switch. Seems to be the largest support I've seen since the SNES era. Even Skyrim is in the trailer as well. Elder Scrolls has never been on a Nintendo console. Best wishes to Nintendo for a successful next generation. Oh, it's still coming out March 2017.

505 Games
Activision Publishing, Inc.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
ATLUS CO., LTD.
Audiokinetic Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Bethesda
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
Codemasters®
CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
Electronic Arts
Epic Games Inc.
Firelight Technologies
FromSoftware, Inc.
Frozenbyte
GameTrust
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
HAMSTER Corporation
Havok
INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc.
Marvelous Inc.
Maximum Games, LLC
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Parity Bit Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc.
RAD Game Tools, Inc.
RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Silicon Studio Corporation
Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Starbreeze Studios
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Telltale Games
THQ Nordic
Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
TT Games
UBISOFT
Ubitus Inc.
Unity Technologies, Inc.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Web Technology Corp
10-20-2016, 04:31 PM
You and me both with keeping it stationary and at home. :)

I think if the hardware is comparable with its competition and 3rd party jumps on board I believe life gets better for Nintendo. I can look past the name and such as long as it's competitive hardware and has good 3rd party games.

10-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Something else I like about the Nintendo Switch is how small the system really is. It's like the size of a large tablet. The portable screen is the console itself. Nintendo always seems to pull off console sizes smaller than the competition. The Xbox One and PS4 are enormous comparably. It doesn't have any moving parts either (like a disc drive), so you can surely put it on the side, unlike the PS4 and Xbox One. It will definitely save a lot of space.

I like the SD Card-style games. I'm sure loading times will be instantaneous, and you don't have to worry about scratching any kind of discs. The game boxes will be smaller as well, similar to Nintendo DS and 3DS games.
10-20-2016, 05:43 PM
I'm all for smaller game cases. Saves me shelf space! Too bad it doesn't have a blu-ray drive though. But I bet this saves cost too.

10-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Fast forward the video to right @ 2:48. You'll see the XBOX style controller. Looks pretty cool doesn't it?

10-21-2016, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 12:06 PM by xlom3000.)
I disagree with the rethinking of the name. I think it fits. It can switch from being a console or a handheld. And it's lightyears better than fucking Wii and Wii U. Also they were VERY prominent about the name which shows they learned their lesson with people being confused about the Wii U.

The controller splitting and being ready for 2 players is awesome.

The new zelda is basically a zelda skinned skyrim, I have no idea how you aren't digging the fuck outta that.

This is probably the lease gimmicky think nintendo has released since the gamecube. It's only gimmick is that it's a mobile console.

The games they showed were a new 3d Mario, Mario Kart (8.5? 9? it definitely wasn't just mario kart 8. I'll explain below). Splatoon 2 (definitely wasn't just an enhancement of the original), NBA Live (16? 17?), Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Skyrim.

Mario Kart wasn't just 8 though. King Boo wasn't in 8, and they were holding two items (I bet you can SWITCH between them Grin ). Nintendo was being cheeky by showing them racing on Yoshi's Island which was in both Mario Kart Double Dash (the last game that let you hold two items) and Mario Kart 8 as DLC.

Splatoon was completely new. New intro sequence. New hair styles. New weapons. Pants! New map. Different logos all over the arena.

I'm excited and it sounds like a lot of developers are too which can't be a bad thing!

I FINALLY plugged my xbox one back in after 8 months of sitting behind my tv where I couldn't be bothered to hook it back up. I finally hooked it up when the new rock band expansion came out this week. There's just not much point for me to use it. All the games I want to play on it also have much better versions already on pc.
10-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Nintendo has announced that they will be releasing the rest of the Nintendo Switch info (pricing, launch date, new games in development) on January 12, 2017. Though it's 2 1/2 months away, I'm still excited for the new Nintendo console. The system is slated for March 2017 release. Nintendo is really waiting for the very last minute to give us the lowdown, probably due to being afraid of the competition copying their ideas.

Read the article here: http://www.gaming-age.com/2016/10/ninten...uary-12th/
10-27-2016, 06:23 PM
I'm eagerly anticipating this because I want to see if they really will be competing with the other two or will again be lacking.

11-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Bethesda has recently stated that they really like the Nintendo Switch, and they are definitely supporting it. Sounds like Skyrim Special Edition will be hitting the console pretty soon. I'm just excited that third-party companies are enthusiastic with the Nintendo Switch, which is what Nintendo really needs.

Read the article here: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/beth...orting-it/
11-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Good to hear Bethesda likes it. That tells me the hardware must be good. Grin

11-28-2016, 03:58 PM
We should have new info in january. My friend who works at nintendo won't give me any info hahah. they have a super strict NDA
11-28-2016, 06:15 PM
I bet they do! I can imagine people have been promptly fired and sued because of it!

12-08-2016, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 05:25 PM by ctophil.)
Watch below as Jimmy Fallon (The Tonight Show), Shigeru Miyamoto (in the audience), and Reggie Fils-Aime showcase Super Mario Run for iPhone/iPad and then The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch for the first time on a TV Show. Definitely, it was great publicity for Nintendo. I thoroughly enjoyed Jimmy's enthusiasm with the new console. Makes you want to buy the Nintendo Switch at launch. ;)

01-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Ok, I have a few additional thoughts.

First, the price is $50 too much if you aren't including that controller. I'm now finding it hard to stomach buying the console for $300 AND a $60 controller. That's $60 more than I want to spend on a console and would rather spend that money on new PC components or better office chairs for the game room PCs. The controller is perhaps the most important thing or tied for the most important thing in a console to me.

Second, the games mentioned. I put my comments in bold next to each one.

Third, while I'm excited that Nintendo is indeed moving in the right direction and back in as a legitimate gaming console for the masses I'm not entirely sure about the hardware yet so I'm yet undecided. Is it true that they will be using an AMD 8-core ARM A57 processor? If so that puts it in the middle between the PS4 Pro and XBOX One S. Not sure about the GPU or RAM. I suppose if it can play Skyrim: Special Edition it would have to be competitive.

Thoughts? Someone feel free to link a video capture of the announcement thing from last night.

Quote:Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind – Confirmed Launch Title --> No Interest
1 2 Switch – Appears to be the Switch version of Wii Sports --> Maybe but probably not since I really don't like the controller nunchuck things on the Switch.
ARMS – Competitive 1v1 that allows players to box using characters with extendable arms. --> No Interest
Splatoon 2 – The second game of the Splatoon game. --> No Interest
Super Mario Oddysey – The latest Mario game in the saga. --> No Interest
Xenoblade 2 --> Only interested if I manage to play and beat the first one. *cough* ttruelove
Fire Emblem Warriors --> No Interest
Dragon Quest X / X1 --> Depends on the battle engine being used.
Dragon Quest Heros I & II --> same as above
Shin Megami Tensei – A post-apocalyptic role-playing video game --> Wasn't a fan of any of these games in the past so it would have to depend on any gameplay videos I watch.
Project Octopath – A Square Enix Game --> A Squeenix RPG without Final Fantasy in the title? Sign me up if the battle system isn't dumb.
Skyrim – Confirmed by Bethesda --> Can you say a 5th Skyrim I'll likely buy new? Talked about tha last night with Phil on XBOX Live. Grin
No More Heroes --> What the hell is this?
Bomberman R --> Yes, its a Bomberman.
FIFA – Confirmed by EA --> No Interest
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe --> Possibly, but, if it follows the last 2 Mario Kart formats I'll pass.

01-13-2017, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 05:57 PM by ctophil.)
(01-13-2017 01:07 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  Ok, I have a few additional thoughts.

First, the price is $50 too much if you aren't including that controller. I'm now finding it hard to stomach buying the console for $300 AND a $60 controller. That's $60 more than I want to spend on a console and would rather spend that money on new PC components or better office chairs for the game room PCs. The controller is perhaps the most important thing or tied for the most important thing in a console to me.

Second, the games mentioned. I put my comments in bold next to each one.

Third, while I'm excited that Nintendo is indeed moving in the right direction and back in as a legitimate gaming console for the masses I'm not entirely sure about the hardware yet so I'm yet undecided. Is it true that they will be using an AMD 8-core ARM A57 processor? If so that puts it in the middle between the PS4 Pro and XBOX One S. Not sure about the GPU or RAM. I suppose if it can play Skyrim: Special Edition it would have to be competitive.

Thoughts? Someone feel free to link a video capture of the announcement thing from last night.

Hey guys,

I posted the complete Nintendo presentation of the Switch below from last night. It pretty much covers all the details of the hardware and software (at least the games they want to show at this time). I do agree with JC for the most part; but I'll probably won't be buying the extra $60 pro controller, since the Switch controller is good enough for me.

The Nintendo Switch can be gimmicky or innovative, depending how you look at it. It is a cool idea to have a home console and be "switched" to a portable system very easily. For a guy like me, I don't really care for the portable part. As for the motion controls, the Switch seems to be more of a Wii successor than say the Wii U. As I said before, it all boils down to the games--so below is JC's list of games but changed to my comments.

Overall, I look forward to seeing what kind of games will be coming out. Nintendo said that they have over 80 games in development from both first and third-party developers. So, I'm happy for Nintendo and for we gamers too.

Quote:Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind – Confirmed Launch Title --> Well, it's an excellent-looking game. But it's also coming out for the Wii U.
1 2 Switch – Appears to be the Switch version of Wii Sports --> I enjoyed Wii Sports back in the day. Nothing major though.
ARMS – Competitive 1v1 that allows players to box using characters with extendable arms. --> Uh, no interest here either.
Splatoon 2 – The second game of the Splatoon game. --> I'll give the first Splatoon game a chance before I'll try this one.
Super Mario Oddysey – The latest Mario game in the saga. -->Super Mario Galaxy on Wii was great. This one is similar but more down to Earth. Super Mario Odyssey looks to be both in the human world and mushroom kingdom. I'm excited for it.
Xenoblade 2 --> I have the first Xenoblade. As soon as I get to it, I'll play this one. lol. :P
Fire Emblem Warriors --> I've never been interested in the Fire Emblem series. Maybe some day. Grin
Dragon Quest X / X1 --> I'm sure it'll be turn-based type of battle system. Unlike Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest likes to stick to tradition. A must buy in my book.
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II -->A must buy as well!
Shin Megami Tensei – A post-apocalyptic role-playing video game --> I played and beat the first Persona game--a side story of Shin Megami Tensei. I disliked the modern setting (compared to fantasy), and the gameplay was pretty average.
Project Octopath – A Square Enix Game --> This one looks to be a very traditional, JRPG game with the 2d sprites and all. I look forward to seeing more.
Skyrim – Confirmed by Bethesda -->I'll probably pick up the Switch version of Skyrim one day, since I'm a big Nintendo supporter.
No More Heroes -->What the mess is this? Grin Actually, it's a game I ignored since it came out on the Wii. I'll probably ignore it again on the Switch. LOL.
Bomberman R -->Let me get the Turbografx-16 version first before thinking about a modern version. :P
FIFA – Confirmed by EA --> I don't care for soccer games.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe -->Hmm, this might get me back to the Mario Kart series.

01-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Interesting thoughts Phil. :) In the end you are correct, it all depends on the games. And that is the most important part here because if they have a killer line-up of 1st and 3rd party games across all genres then I can see this as a success. I just hope the 3rd party support is the strongest its been for Nintendo since the SNES. The Gamecube was briefly relevant, but the medium wasn't what 3rd party developers preferred in the end. If I see a plethora of jRPGs come out I'll HAPPILY buy them and support Nintendo over Sony. At least Nintendo appears to be actually trying to please their fan base instead of nickel & diming them to death like Sony.

Thanks for posting the video!

01-13-2017, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 06:30 PM by ctophil.)
I would like to post the Nintendo Switch game release schedule. Also, as a correction, the Switch Pro Controller is $70 not $60 (http://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-switch-jo...er-for-70) as previously mentioned. In case you guys missed it, the Nintendo Switch launches on March 3rd, 2017.

Launch day (March 3rd)
◾The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
◾1-2-Switch
◾Just Dance 2017
◾Super Bomberman R
◾Skylanders Imaginators (Cursed Tiki Temple level pack March 12th)

Launch window
◾Has Been Heroes – March
◾Snipperclips – Cut it out, together! – March
◾I am Setsuna – March
◾Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – April 28th
◾Lego City Undercover – Spring
◾Sonic Mania – Spring
◾Arms – Spring

◾Splatoon 2 – Summer 2017
◾NBA 2K18 – September 2017
◾The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Fall 2017
◾Super Mario Odyssey – Holiday 2017

TBD
◾Arcade Archives
◾Disgaea 5 Complete
◾Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
◾Farming Simulator
◾Fast Remix
◾FIFA
◾Fire Emblem Warriors
◾Minecraft
◾Minecraft: Story Mode – The Complete Adventure
◾Project Sonic 2017
◾Puyo Puyo Tetris
◾Rayman Legends Definitive Edition
◾Rime
◾Shin Megami Tensei: Brand New Title
◾Syberia 3
◾Steep
◾Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

Source: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/the-...nch-games/
01-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Puyo Puyo Tetris? Two great puzzle games merged in to one?! I wonder how that'll work? Grin Also, bummer on the SEVENTY DOLLAR controller price. Shit that's just too much money. So no release news for the Dragon Quest games? Also, Fall 2017 for Skyrim? What could be taking them so long?

Yea, that reply was ADD totally...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Switch] Project Octpath Traveler JCE3000GT 14 1,363 09-14-2017 09:12 PM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  [Switch/PS4/3DS] Dragon Quest XI ctophil 1 213 07-28-2017 03:20 PM
  [Switch] Shakedown: Hawaii JCE3000GT 6 786 04-29-2017 04:38 PM
  [Switch] Seiken Densetsu Collection xlom3000 9 1,137 04-29-2017 04:32 PM
  [XBOX One/PS4/Switch/PC] Skyrim: Special Edition JCE3000GT 15 2,667 04-29-2017 02:48 PM
  [Switch] Enter the Gungeon JCE3000GT 4 569 04-28-2017 10:50 PM
  [Switch] NBA Playgrounds JCE3000GT 2 341 04-28-2017 08:14 PM
  [Wii U/Switch] Zelda: Breath of the Wild xlom3000 25 2,778 03-20-2017 12:29 PM
  Nintendo NX Console ctophil 14 2,424 10-20-2016 04:04 PM
  Nintendo vs. Video Game Rentals ctophil 3 1,026 08-28-2016 11:21 PM
  Nintendo's dead to me JCE3000GT 3 782 07-31-2016 05:51 PM
Last Post: xlom3000
  Not to be outdone by Nintendo Sega released a mini Genesis JCE3000GT 2 698 07-26-2016 04:10 PM
Last Post: ctophil