Horizon: Zero Dawn Multi-part Game Review
03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Horizon: Zero Dawn Multi-part Game Review
Pt 1: 3/1/17

Initial Impressions:
Immediately after installing a predictable game update on launch day, Horizon started up and instantly got me started with a new story quest. The beginning is cinematic and features all in-game graphics and rendering. This is similar to Skyrim and FFXV, thankfully, and keeps you engaged in the game. The first thing I noticed was the skin detail on the characters and the lighting effects. I was immediately blown away to the possibilities of what I haven’t seen yet. The game looks gorgeous and the animation is incredibly smooth. This was all immediately obvious within the first 2 minutes of the new game.

The game starts you off by falling into a ruins of sorts and quickly starts to pile on the lore of the land. This was getting into Fallout territory. Awesome. This was great since it reminded me so much of how Skyrim/Fallout allows you to explore at your own pace and discover pieces of history through interaction and loot-finding. The mix of technology and tribal influences pair nicely and it feels like your character has a strong advantage against the enemy. It’s a very cool feeling.

In short, if Skyrim, Tomb Raider (new ones), and Fallout had a baby, Horizon would be it. It’s just as good and immersive as all three of them equally.

Battle:
Battle appears to be fun. I’m only 2 hours into it and have completed roughly 3 side quests. The first hour is immersive lore as young Aloy (an outcast of the tribe). So, once you get through that, your quest starts almost immediately. The battles are fast-paced and very familiar to Skyrim. You can stealth-kill, melee, bow, hide, run, and escape and return. You are only able to hide in tall grass, so it’s important to plan routes before you engage monsters. There’s a detection system a-la Skyrim with an indicator or green, then yellow when monsters are searching for you, and finally red when you’re spotted. It’s easy to run to another patch of tall grass and hide again to make them search for you.

Most combat is done via the bow. You do have a spear for close combat, but I totally prefer the bow. You are able to use your found tech to scan the area (a-la Tomb Raider’s senses) and look for monster weaknesses to exploit. Monsters are pretty smart and fast, so you must plan accordingly. Monsters can also talk to other monsters and can develop patterns to trap you. It’s pretty awesome.

I fought this scavenger-type robot monster that acted a lot like a mountain lion. It was part of a spear-retrieval quest and only one monster had the spear. However, there were 4 or 5 of them and you had to figure out which one had the item you needed. The monsters were higher level, so you couldn’t take them all on at once. Well, the one with the big-ass spear sticking out of him gave me a clue that it was the one I needed. I was able to scan and target it so I’d never lose track of it. I found it’s weak spot(s) and fired doing decent damage. However, it immediately saw me and attacked me. I ran to the grass and hid. I waited for the caution light and fired again. It was PISSED! It called out to the other members of the herd and those guys were going bat-shit crazy looking for me. They never went to green, but stayed at constant yellow (in search). It was hard hitting a constantly moving target, but I eventually got the item. It was challenging and quite rewarding.

You don’t have to kill a monster to get an item off of it. You can use your bow or spear and target certain areas of the monsters and dislodge things. It’s a very cool mechanic since you don’t have to wait until the monster is dead before harvesting items and spoils from it. It’s also a cool way to get rare items.

The battle system reminds me so much of Skyrim and I love it! It’s similar, but much different.

Annoyances:
So far, the only annoyance is you must manually activate your quests. When you receive a new quest, you have to go into the menu and choose it as active. It’s possible to have no active quests. Kinda cool, but kinda annoying.

Cool Stuff: It’s got slotted equipment, crafting, body-looting, rare items, Fire Arrows!, monster tracking, stealth, freaking robot dinosaurs! Absolutely gorgeous environments. That is one of my big winners. The game is so immersive and just makes you want to explore it. Plus much more.

I’ll update the review as I get further into the game. No spoilers!

Tim
Photographer/Geek
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 04:51 PM
RE: Horizon: Zero Dawn Multi-part Game Review
Wow, thanks for the preview! Horizon Zero Dawn sounds like a winner. I've been following the game for quite a while now, and it doesn't seem to disappoint. I'm not a fan of open-world games like Skyrim; but I will have to try it out for sure.

Horizon Zero Dawn is also a PS4 exclusive title. Glad I bought a PS4 recently. ;)
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2017, 09:39 PM
A good read. I knew it would be a great game. It'll be there if I ever decide to get a PS4 some day. I'll be looking for more of your review. :)

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
03-02-2017, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 10:57 AM by xlom3000.)
I was reading that Horizon has the unfortunate pleasure of being released too close to the new zelda game. A lot of players are saying Zelda is ruining Horizon for them because it's so good. I'll likely stream some of the former later tonight.

I'm definitely looking forward to horizon once the price drops a bit though. I hear it looks absolutely AMAZING on Ps4 pro hardware even if you don't have a 4k tv. I don't think it does super sampling, but it bumps up the texture resolution by a lot.
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2017, 11:58 AM
^ I've heard the same.

05-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Any full reviews coming ttruelove?

08-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Yo, care to post more in here?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Review] Until Dawn PS4 [48.8/50] ctophil 1 321 10-22-2017 09:54 AM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  [Review] Beyond Oasis Sega Genesis [42.5/50] ctophil 0 50 09-05-2017 04:57 PM
Last Post: ctophil
  Final Fantasy XV: A Long-time Fan Review ttruelove 19 2,454 02-03-2017 12:03 AM
  Review template JCE3000GT 0 269 11-27-2016 09:35 AM
  [Review] Dying Light XBOX One [43.5/50] ctophil 1 460 07-01-2016 03:55 PM
  [Review] Rise of the Tomb Raider Lotex 8 1,495 03-17-2016 03:57 PM
Last Post: ttruelove
  [Review] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link [33/50] ctophil 1 566 02-10-2016 06:15 PM
  [Review] The evil within Lotex 12 2,251 07-19-2015 04:48 PM
Last Post: Lotex
  [Beta Test Review] Mystic Quest Reborn 2.0 (Work in Progress) Lotex 16 3,273 03-18-2015 06:01 PM
  [Beta Test Review] Mystic Quest Legend reborn: Lite version Lotex 21 5,450 12-23-2014 02:18 AM
  [Review] Final Fantasy IV iOS/Android/PC/(DS) Lotex 2 3,271 11-27-2014 02:02 PM
  [Review] The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion PSP [44/50] ctophil 4 2,754 11-05-2014 04:52 PM