[Preview] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PS4
07-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PS4
Here are my initial thoughts from FFXII on the PS4 now that I've got in to it about ~20 hours. I'm taking my time and making sure to explore every area fully before continuing. I just wish I hadn't found out about the speed mode. Sad

The great:
-Music. Reorchestrated music to be exact. If you love the original PS2's version of the music and then the slightly upgraded OST then you'll LOVE the reorchestrated music. It adds more depth, high fidelity, and in some cases songs sound like they were played live.
-Story. Don't listen to the hate, the story is quite good and well (voice) acted minus Ashe's constant sighing. I just look past all the sighs... LOL The PS4 version doesn't change anything which is great.
-Gameplay. The gameplay is still as fantastic as I remember. And now with a speed mode any grinding or backtracking through a map can be done quickly which is actually a plus!
-All of the new goodies from both the International version and new to this game only on PS4. :)
-No more avoiding every treasure chest and doing impossible tasks to get the Zodiac Spear...

The good:
-Graphics. The upgraded graphics are fantastic in each of the areas with just enough HD textures to give an improvement on an already great looking game. The CGI cut-scenes are really good all cleaned up and such.
-Battles. I liked the original MMO feel of the battles as a change of pace and with being able to do Wait like with the ATB system on previous installments it felt good and fresh.

The bad:
-Did I mention Ashe's sighs? There are also others who sigh but not nearly as much.
-Beating both Demon Walls gives you .... nothing but a dumb mote. What a pain in the ass the first Demon Wall was to beat and I got crappy treasure instead of the possible awesome sword. Not that I could of used the sword...
-The speed mode (2x and 4x) is too easily abused and will take the fun out of the game. I should of never looked up what it was because now I find myself without the willpower to not use it for non-grinding situations.
-Not being able to change your job once you've selected it. They should of added a feature that if you choose to change your job you'll lose all License board and license point progress and start over. I made the big mistake in not having at least one Knight because it always seems I get awesome Swords but not everything else.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2017, 03:49 PM
RE: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PS4
Sounds great, JC! I might have to get me a copy of FF XII on PS4. I have the Collector's Edition on PS2 when it first came out.

Oh, I do remember Ashe's sighs. LOL. I guess it does give her some character. The speed mode sounds convenient for most people out there, I know. It may sound weird, but I prefer the full experience of the game, regardless if it's boring or some episode of lacking in patience.
Find all posts by this user
07-14-2017, 05:11 PM
(07-14-2017 03:49 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Sounds great, JC! I might have to get me a copy of FF XII on PS4. I have the Collector's Edition on PS2 when it first came out.

Oh, I do remember Ashe's sighs. LOL. I guess it does give her some character. The speed mode sounds convenient for most people out there, I know. It may sound weird, but I prefer the full experience of the game, regardless if it's boring or some episode of lacking in patience.

Grin I know you'd like this. Especially the nice little touches this version has like the reorchestrated music.

09-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Almost 93 hours later and I'm still playing and enjoying it. I'll write my review once I beat it. What a great game this is...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Review] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age PS4 [44.5/50] JCE3000GT 0 30 09-16-2017 11:39 AM
Last Post: JCE3000GT
  Final Fantasy XV: A Long-time Fan Review ttruelove 19 2,141 02-03-2017 12:03 AM
  [Review] Final Fantasy Type-0 HD XBOX One [17.5/50] JCE3000GT 4 1,084 02-26-2016 12:08 PM
  [Review] Final Fantasy IV iOS/Android/PC/(DS) Lotex 2 3,110 11-27-2014 02:02 PM
Last Post: Lotex