Interesting DIY shelf idea
08-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Interesting DIY shelf idea
So, I'm really a bit not looking forward to having to spend $500~700 for my display shelves in the office/game room then turn around and spend another $500~700 for the movie theatre. I stumbled upon this video on youtube and I'm amazed. I SUCK at making things with my hands but I could do something like this slightly modified to sit on the floor instead of mounting it on the wall. I'll also likely add another 1x2 piece at the back slightly higher as a rest place for the games as to keep the games off of the wall as well. Plus doing this will allow me to literally custom build exactly what I need for everything from 3DO longboxes and all the way down to CDs and DS/GBx boxes. The added good news is all my furniture in the office/game room is natural unstained and unpainted wood so that saves me even more $$$ and of course time.

Thoughts?

P.S. I do not like pressed wood, MDF, particleboard, or whatever you want to call glued together sawdust/fibers. I prefer real solid wood so IKEA and the like aren't allowed in my household. That's good for the masses but I'm very particular about my furniture. :)

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
^Still adding PC games...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2017, 10:55 PM
RE: Interesting DIY shelf idea
Processed wood is the pits. Never get anything coated in vinyl, it's a dust magnet.

I second having something in the back, no way I'd let stuff rest on the wall. Sounds like a plan for water damage, mold, mildew, cobwebs, insects, and mice.

There are woodworking subreddits you can ask questions at. All I know is that before you put a screw in wood that thin, you should use a smaller drillbit to drill a hole. I think it prevents cracking.

I personally wouldn't want something like this because I'm the type to over-engineer things, but whatever suits you.
Find all posts by this user
08-19-2017, 11:34 AM
(08-18-2017 10:55 PM)MysticLord Wrote:  Processed wood is the pits. Never get anything coated in vinyl, it's a dust magnet.

I second having something in the back, no way I'd let stuff rest on the wall. Sounds like a plan for water damage, mold, mildew, cobwebs, insects, and mice.

There are woodworking subreddits you can ask questions at. All I know is that before you put a screw in wood that thin, you should use a smaller drillbit to drill a hole. I think it prevents cracking.

I personally wouldn't want something like this because I'm the type to over-engineer things, but whatever suits you.

Agreed. It is either real wood (hardwood if I can help it) or nothing. I'd do steel/aluminum but those are too expensive and beyond my skill set to manipulate.

I had planned on drilling a small hole first. I learned that from my dad ~30 years ago. LOL I understand most people will want something more substantial and that's great. I just need something inexpensive, within my skill set to produce, and that will maximize the space I have available for my ~1,200+ games. To me something less than $100 that can fully display everything efficiently is more valuable to me than spending the $700 for proper rustic shelves like I originally wanted. I'll take the extra $$$ I saved and spend it elsewhere needed. Grin

If you were local I'd offer to pay you to "over-engineer" something, but unfortunately I don't have any one like that especially now that my father-in-law is going to have hip surgery. Sad

08-19-2017, 01:59 PM
(08-19-2017 11:34 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  If you were local I'd offer to pay you to "over-engineer" something, but unfortunately I don't have any one like that especially now that my father-in-law is going to have hip surgery. Sad

I'm not a carpenter, I barely know the basics. I had to deal with a lot of second hand junk and I know how they fail, and I know how hard it is to clean fancy stuff.

Wood changes in size and to a lesser degree in shape with heat and humidity. Static and dust are issues. My solution would be Something with a clear facing (glass, tough plastic, or transparent aluminum ceramics) that you can latch and maybe lock shut, a very tight seal, insulated shell, and attachments for air filters. The inside would contain modular attachments that you can configure to suit the dimensions of whatever it stores.

If you want something like this, you're better off asking at a 3D printing forum than a carpenter, especially if you want it attached to studs in your walls.

A cheaper solution is to buy something off craigslist that you can modify. It doesn't have to be exactly what you need, but it must be something that fits and which you can modify. You can reinforce the shelves various ways, and you can add more shelves by attaching wedges on which they will rest.

You can prevent shelf sag by adding a support about 1/8 of the way from the end of each shelf, on every level, and then put heavy things between this and the ends of the shelves. I think this is called a counterweight. It's like a lever.

Keep things clean by sanding the fancy stuff smooth and staining it once a year. Very easy to clean.
08-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Well, I don't have a problem with pressed wood. In fact, a lot of my shelves and entertainment centers are made out of that stuff. It's cheap and light to move around when necessary. Real wood is quite heavy, you know. You can definitely get a lot of commercial shelving for $100 if you go buy that cheap stuff. They do last a long time, since one of my older entertainment centers is 30 years old. Of course, solid wood can handle heavier loads and won't bend as easy. Unless you are going to put a CRT TV on the shelf, I don't think you need wood that can handle more than 20 pounds.

I do have glass-based shelving as well. And those are the most elegant and solid-looking. They are real heavy though and requires 2-3 people to lift something like that. It all boils down to what you want. Money vs. Quality (and weight). Just keep in mind that in this day and age, you don't have to be a carpenter nor have a lot of money to get decent quality shelves. Just shop around.
08-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Most of the shelving options that aren't solid wood that I've seen over the years have ended up warping inside of ~5 years or so. We had IKEA shelves in the past and without having too much weight on it they started to sag after around the 3 year mark. These pressed wood/particleboard/MDF shelves may work for most but I'd say after selling furniture for years and seeing how well these perform in both home and office use I just prefer solid wood furniture. Glass would be nice but I'd go absolutely batty with the dust. Grin

Mainly I was going to continue my rustic theme that we were going for in the house but with those shelves being so expensive I think this might be a better alternative. I've already come up with the design in my head that will be able to do what I need for not much money. If I can get some thin sheets of aluminum or steel I'll reinforce the horizontal 1x2's (or 1x3's, haven't decided yet). On one or two of these I'm going to use pegboard as the backing since I have peghooks and it would make a great way to display controllers/accessories and etc.

The shelves for the movie theatre will actually be slightly better with the stain and molding we plan on adding. My wife is better at this stuff than I am so I'm lucky I've got someone who knows what they are doing. Cycle

08-21-2017, 12:29 AM
Solid wood will eventually sag too, make sure it has supports at both ends and closer to (but not exactly at) the middle.

There are plenty of places to get industrial sheet metal online. There's probably a local supplier you could contact too.