About to buy a PS4 ...
09-09-2017, 11:50 AM
About to buy a PS4 ...
... and not sure which model I should get and that's where you guys come into play Grin
I don't have big hardware like a super expensive 4k tv or something like that, I plan to hook the console to my regular monitor which should support a 1080 resolution, but nothing too fancy. As far as I understand there's the regular PS4 and the PS4 pro for things like 4k and stuff, but if I don't have a tv that supports this resolution (and I don't plan to buy one) is it still worth it to get the pro or is the regular one enough for me? A short and incisive pro and cons list would be awesome Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2017, 12:25 PM
RE: About to buy a PS4 ...
(09-09-2017 11:50 AM)Lotex Wrote:  ... and not sure which model I should get and that's where you guys come into play Grin
I don't have big hardware like a super expensive 4k tv or something like that, I plan to hook the console to my regular monitor which should support a 1080 resolution, but nothing too fancy. As far as I understand there's the regular PS4 and the PS4 pro for things like 4k and stuff, but if I don't have a tv that supports this resolution (and I don't plan to buy one) is it still worth it to get the pro or is the regular one enough for me? A short and incisive pro and cons list would be awesome Grin

Yes, get a Pro. Has the larger 1TB hard drive (normal/slim models have 500GB), runs cooler and quieter, and has a little boost in hardware to run games more smoothly whether you have 4K or not. Really the price is pretty good for the Pro so why not?

https://www.amazon.de/PlayStation-4-Pro-...B01LQF9UKS

Pros for a Pro:
-Runs cooler/quieter
-Larger standard hard drive
-Better hardware which runs games smoother regardless of 4K usage--think future game performance more than 4K!
-Price is pretty good still for the Pro

Cons for a Pro:
-It isn't an XBOX One LAME!

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2017, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 01:15 PM by Lotex.)
Ok, thanks for the clarification, I thought it was supposed to be something for 4k and shit, but it seems like it's worth the extra bucks even without a special tv and stuff.
I grew very fond of my xbox one controller and personally I think it's superior to its PS counterpart, but that's just me and the reason why I lean towards PS4 is just that there seem to be more exclusive games that I'd like to play. Like Bloodborne, Uncharted and such games and while Xbox also has some pretty good games like the Gears of War series I'm not very fond of shooters.

Edit: Oh and Last of us, I always wanted to play this game, it looks just awesome.
09-09-2017, 01:56 PM
(09-09-2017 01:13 PM)Lotex Wrote:  Ok, thanks for the clarification, I thought it was supposed to be something for 4k and shit, but it seems like it's worth the extra bucks even without a special tv and stuff.
I grew very fond of my xbox one controller and personally I think it's superior to its PS counterpart, but that's just me and the reason why I lean towards PS4 is just that there seem to be more exclusive games that I'd like to play. Like Bloodborne, Uncharted and such games and while Xbox also has some pretty good games like the Gears of War series I'm not very fond of shooters.

Edit: Oh and Last of us, I always wanted to play this game, it looks just awesome.

While you do get bonuses with the 4K/UHD and such the games will still look amazing in 1080 and run very well with the upgraded hardware. I'm praying one of these days a 3rd party company will close the XBOX style controller for the PS4 and have it wireless. I'm desperate for that XBOX button/stick layout. Hell even Nintendo has that layout now!

The bonus of having a PS4 is RPGs because apparently Microsoft doesn't give a shit about RPGs, especially Japanese style RPGs. You have to get Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for your PS4 when you get it. What a great game! Even though I am biased for it the game is still good.

09-09-2017, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 02:56 PM by Lotex.)
I'll see what I can get first, the console itself is kind of an investment for me at the moment, the heating needed a few repairs after about 28 years and that was quite costly, so I'll just buy the console first and maybe two games for now. Maybe I'll get FF15, but I'm not sure about 12, I've seen a let's play a while back and although it didn't look bad it was quite an underwhelming experience for me. I don't mean to belittle the game, but for me it was just boring. The story was boring, most of the the areas were boring, the characters were boring, all in all just not my cup of tea. But what I'll probably try in the future are games like Ni no Kuni, it looked kind of childish or maybe rather playful, but it also looked pretty good.

Is there such a thing like the steam family share thing for your ps4 games?
09-09-2017, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 04:24 PM by ctophil.)
(09-09-2017 02:46 PM)Lotex Wrote:  I'll see what I can get first, the console itself is kind of an investment for me at the moment, the heating needed a few repairs after about 28 years and that was quite costly, so I'll just buy the console first and maybe two games for now. Maybe I'll get FF15, but I'm not sure about 12, I've seen a let's play a while back and although it didn't look bad it was quite an underwhelming experience for me. I don't mean to belittle the game, but for me it was just boring. The story was boring, most of the the areas were boring, the characters were boring, all in all just not my cup of tea. But what I'll probably try in the future are games like Ni no Kuni, it looked kind of childish or maybe rather playful, but it also looked pretty good.

Is there such a thing like the steam family share thing for your ps4 games?

Yes, the PS4 does allow your family and friends to play games that they don't even own over the Internet, provided that you have the game. This is called Share Play. The PS4 concept is similar to friends sitting on the couch where they pass the controller around to play a single-player game. One problem though is that on the PS4, you can only play for an hour before it cuts you off. But you can restart the session as many times as you want. After the hour is over, they can just hand the controller back to you (virtually speaking). And then hand the controller back to them by restarting a new Share Play session.

You do need Playstation Plus to do the Share Play thing. But your friend does not need it. You can also do local coop/multiplayer with someone online as well. So if the game does not support online coop, you can still use the local option by using the Share Play. Both you and the friend need to have Playstation Plus if you're going to do coop/multiplayer on both online and local mode.

One final thing to consider is that Share Play can only be used if the game is available in both their respective countries' Playstation Store. For example, if you are playing a game that is only available in Germany, an American friend can not play the game with you. There is one way around this. Ask your American friend to create a new German, Playstation account. That way, both of you will have the game available in the Playstation Store. I have a UK, Playstation account myself.
09-09-2017, 04:29 PM
(09-09-2017 04:19 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Ask your American friend to create a new German, Playstation account. That way, both of you will have the game available in the Playstation Store. I have a UK, Playstation account myself.

Genius. So if I had PlayStation Plus and a German account Lotex could play my FFXII? Is that correct how I understand it? Hell, I'll be getting all worldwide FFXII Zodiac Age's for the PS4 too at some point so I could buy a German one first before Japan. :)

09-09-2017, 05:33 PM
(09-09-2017 04:29 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 04:19 PM)ctophil Wrote:  Ask your American friend to create a new German, Playstation account. That way, both of you will have the game available in the Playstation Store. I have a UK, Playstation account myself.

Genius. So if I had PlayStation Plus and a German account Lotex could play my FFXII? Is that correct how I understand it? Hell, I'll be getting all worldwide FFXII Zodiac Age's for the PS4 too at some point so I could buy a German one first before Japan. :)

That is correct. A single, Playstation Plus account can be used on any number of accounts on the same PS4. But you must first activate Playstation Plus on your main account. All sub-accounts will activate automatically when you sign in.
09-09-2017, 05:58 PM
(09-09-2017 05:33 PM)ctophil Wrote:  

That is correct. A single, Playstation Plus account can be used on any number of accounts on the same PS4. But you must first activate Playstation Plus on your main account. All sub-accounts will activate automatically when you sign in.

Cool beans, good to know thanks! Grin

09-10-2017, 04:24 AM

I don't know if there's still such a difference like back in days with PAL/NTSC, but since the game is also available here I don't know if you'd need a german account plus the different timezone would probably make it quite hard if you get cut off after an hours, especially with an rpg where frequent saving is a good thing and you can't save everywhere you are.

I guess I'll have to see what sites like amazon have to offer, I remember that there was a sale a few weeks ago for a console + 2 wireless controller for around 360€, but seems like it's gone now. Would it be possible to sell the game that comes with a console? Yesterday I saw a deal with a console that includes Fifa 18, but I'm not really interested in this game, but a friend of mine wants to buy it.
09-10-2017, 10:39 AM
(09-10-2017 04:24 AM)Lotex Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 04:29 PM)JCE3000GT Wrote:  [quote='ctophil' pid='5977' dateline='1504991943']Ask your American friend to create a new German, Playstation account. That way, both of you will have the game available in the Playstation Store. I have a UK, Playstation account myself.

Quote:I don't know if there's still such a difference like back in days with PAL/NTSC, but since the game is also available here I don't know if you'd need a german account plus the different timezone would probably make it quite hard if you get cut off after an hours, especially with an rpg where frequent saving is a good thing and you can't save everywhere you are.

Nope, no problems with region or video formats now. All current generation consoles are not region locked and PAL/NTSC doesn't exist anymore when using HDMI or with modern TV sets. For perspective I have a UK Battleborn for my XBOX One and it works perfectly fine. This really benefits you all in Europe because now you have a larger library of games to play. If there's something from the US you want and it is too expensive for you to buy and ship let me know and I'll get it and ship it to you for what it and shipping comes out to. It'll be cheaper that way probably.

Quote:I guess I'll have to see what sites like amazon have to offer, I remember that there was a sale a few weeks ago for a console + 2 wireless controller for around 360€, but seems like it's gone now. Would it be possible to sell the game that comes with a console? Yesterday I saw a deal with a console that includes Fifa 18, but I'm not really interested in this game, but a friend of mine wants to buy it.

Yes, you can sell the "game" that comes bundled. Keep in mind this is just a digital code and not a physical game so you're essentially selling a cardboard insert with a digital code. LOL I made the mistake of redeeming my Gears of War code when I should of sold it!

BTW, that bundle for 360 Euros you mentioned was a great deal actually.

09-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind in case I ever see something that I want and that's cheaper this way Grin

I should've taken the deal when it was hot, but now I got a pro for 350 with one controller included and since I don't plan to buy any multiplayer games this month this should be ok for now. You can use regular pc controllers anyway and if I ever need more I could always borrow a few from friends in case the PS3 ones are compatible with the new console.

I'm also open for suggestions on good games, especially adventures like Uncharted or Tomb Raider or (j)RPGs, you know, the good stuff. Grin
09-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Alright, I received my PS4 today, connected it to my monitor and what can I say - It's beautiful, better than I expected. For now I only bought a few games, namely: Uncharted - Nathan Drake collection, A thief's end, Lost Legacy and Last of Us remastered and the first thing that I noticed was the people who complain about Dark Souls being the hardest game ever have clearly never played Uncharted on crushing difficulty, this shit is savage. Other than being brought to tears at least three times today I'm very pleased with my purchase, althoug I still prefer the Xbox one controller.
09-12-2017, 04:15 PM
DLC is usually region locked. If you have a game from a different region, you can only purchase it's dlc from that same region.

Also I finally found a use for my xbox one. SlingTV. I'm curious if it runs smoother on the free roku they are sending me though.